Full or part-time music positions, that are currently open at local churches or academic institutions, posted in the order of date submitted. To submit an available position, fill out and submit the form here. To ask that a position be removed, contact the webmaster. Positions will be listed for 90 days unless otherwise advised.
Part-time Director of Music
Christ the Servant Lutheran Church
2400 Wilcrest Dr.
Houston, Texas 77042
Contact Zach Edwards
Church Phone (713) 784-6620
Number and Times of Services
Two Sunday services: 8:00 am and 11:00 am, no midweek rehearsals
- Provide musical performance and accompaniment dedicated solely to the glory of God.
- Work closely with clergy in planning and preparing music programs for regular and special services (including weddings and funerals).
- Select, organize, and maintain a diverse repertoire for the church’s music library and for each worship service.
- Act as organist for all worship services and be responsible for obtaining a substitute when necessary.
- Oversee care and maintenance of church instruments and assist with sound/recording equipment.
- Program and direct bimonthly small ensemble performances at both services, including vocalists, instrumentalists, and/or children from the congregation.
- Be responsible for musical content in church bulletins, newsletters, and other communications.
- Masters degree in music with a focus on sacred music and organ performance.
- 1-3 years experience in church music.
- Sensitivity towards Lutheran liturgy.
- Strong leadership, communication, and organizational skills.
- Flexibility in handling various church service arrangements as necessary.
Sanctuary has a pipe organ and small grand piano.
If interested, please send resume and cover letter to contact above by Friday, May 28, 2021.
posted May 11, 2021
Part-time Organist/Pianist (Part-time Staff Accompanist)
Northeast Richmond/Southwest Katy/Northwest Sugarland
Faith United Methodist church
4600 FM 359
Richmond, Texas 77406
Number and Times of Services:
Sunday: 7-8 am individual practice time, 8:15-8:45 am rehearsal with Chancel Choir, 9-10 am Traditional Service
Number and Times of Midweek Rehearsals:
Tuesday: 7-9 pm Choir Rehearsal (occasional Handbell Rehearsal at 6 pm)
- Provide organ/piano music for all traditional worship services, including Sunday traditional services each week in the Worship Center from 9-10 am, (Advent, Christmas, Lent, Holy Week) and all special occasions where the organ/piano is the primary instrument used.
- Rehearse with and accompany the Chancel Choir at Tuesday rehearsals from 7-8:30 August through June, and again on Sunday morning from 8-8:45. The choir does not rehearse during the month of July.
- Rehearse with and accompany Soloists, Instrumentalists, and Handbell Choir for the traditional worship service and other special worship services, when necessary on organ or piano.
- Provide regular organ solo works (Prelude, Postlude and occasional Offertory, and other supporting selections) for the traditional worship service and other special worship services, as needed.
- Work cooperatively with the Director of Traditional Worship to plan and prepare music for traditional worship service and other special services.
- Provide organ/piano music for weddings and funerals held at Faith UMC in collaboration with senior and associate pastors, or arrange for a substitute, if unavailable. (Pay for weddings, funerals, and memorial services is compensated additionally, based on an established fee schedule.)
- Rehearse with and accompany the Chancel Choir for all selected events such as concerts and Dinner Theater rehearsals and performances.
- Maintain a continuing professional level of musical training appropriate to the position as it evolves in the future.
- A minimum of a Bachelor of Music degree required (an emphasis in organ performance preferred).
- Demonstrated ability to play a dynamic range in organ and piano music required (classical to gospel)
- Demonstrated ability to accompany choirs and individual musicians required.
- Demonstrated experience and ability playing in a worship setting required.
- Understands how music contributes to the flow and meaning of worship.
- Exhibits a commitment to the Christian faith.
- Organizational skills, interpersonal relationships, and team player.
- Technical expertise with piano and organ accompaniment.
- Worship Center: ADC 4300DK, 2 manual Allen Organ (64 stops)
- Worship Center: Petrof Grand
- Worship Center: Electronic Keyboard
- Chapel: Nordiska Grand
- Pay Scale: $37.44 per hour
- Required Weekly Schedule: (7-8 hours weekly) 3 hours Sunday morning, 2-3 hours Tuesday, 2 hours personal practice time.
Posted April 16, 2021
Part-Time University Organist
Houston Baptist University
7502 Fondren Rd
Houston, Texas 77074
Contact David Kirkwood
Phone (281) 649-3204
- Maintain all university organs as follows:
- Serve as the liaison between the university and Létourneau Limitée
- Secure reputable technicians for maintaining all university organs.
- Function as the liaison between organ technician(s) and the university to ensure the university’s pipe organs and electronic organ are well-maintained.
- Advise University Administrators on the issues (other than tuning) that need attention and require funding.
- Provide organ accompaniment, as needed, for:
- Major university events such as Graduation, Opening Convocation, Founder’s Day, Award’s Day, and other university-wide events as requested by the Administration
- HBU Choir concerts for Major Works
- Hymn accompaniment for Student Music Forums
- Other performing requests as schedule allows and at organist’s discretion. The University Organist may establish & charge a fee for all non-university functions, to be paid by the organization or person(s) requesting the service.
- Manage the Organ Recital Series
- Secure guest artists for three recitals per semester
- Perform on Organ Recital Series once per year
- Promote the Organ Recital Series internally and externally
- Grow and sustain a larger regular attendance
- Teach secondary instrument applied organ lessons to piano majors at the current adjunct rate of pay.
The successful candidate must possess a minimum of Master’s Degree in Organ.
Please apply here.
Posted April 16, 2021
Holy Rosary Church
3617 Milam Street
Houston, Texas 77002
Contact Mary Henriquez
Number and Times of Services
11 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. Masses
No mid-week rehearsals
The organist should be able to comfortably accompany the cantor at both 11 a.m. High Mass and 12:30 p.m. Low Mass. The repertoire is primarily hymns and chants. The organist will at times be called upon to play weddings, funerals, and other special liturgies.
Experience playing organ in a Catholic Church preferable. At least 2 years’ experience playing in a church is required.
Candidates must be able to start no later than 5/9/2021.
Posted March 19, 2021