Full or part-time music positions, that are currently open at local churches or academic institutions, posted in the order of date submitted. To submit an available position, fill out and submit the form here. To ask that a position be removed, contact the webmaster. Positions will be listed for 90 days unless otherwise advised.
Part-time Organist/Pianist (Part-time Staff Accompanist)
Northeast Richmond/Southwest Katy/Northwest Sugarland
Faith United Methodist church
4600 FM 359
Richmond, Texas 77406
Number and Times of Services:
Sunday: 7-8 am individual practice time, 8:15-8:45 am rehearsal with Chancel Choir, 9-10 am Traditional Service
Number and Times of Midweek Rehearsals:
Tuesday: 7-9 pm Choir Rehearsal (occasional Handbell Rehearsal at 6 pm)
- Provide organ/piano music for all traditional worship services, including Sunday traditional services each week in the Worship Center from 9-10 am, (Advent, Christmas, Lent, Holy Week) and all special occasions where the organ/piano is the primary instrument used.
- Rehearse with and accompany the Chancel Choir at Tuesday rehearsals from 7-8:30 August through June, and again on Sunday morning from 8-8:45. The choir does not rehearse during the month of July.
- Rehearse with and accompany Soloists, Instrumentalists, and Handbell Choir for the traditional worship service and other special worship services, when necessary on organ or piano.
- Provide regular organ solo works (Prelude, Postlude and occasional Offertory, and other supporting selections) for the traditional worship service and other special worship services, as needed.
- Work cooperatively with the Director of Traditional Worship to plan and prepare music for traditional worship service and other special services.
- Provide organ/piano music for weddings and funerals held at Faith UMC in collaboration with senior and associate pastors, or arrange for a substitute, if unavailable. (Pay for weddings, funerals, and memorial services is compensated additionally, based on an established fee schedule.)
- Rehearse with and accompany the Chancel Choir for all selected events such as concerts and Dinner Theater rehearsals and performances.
- Maintain a continuing professional level of musical training appropriate to the position as it evolves in the future.
- A minimum of a Bachelor of Music degree required (an emphasis in organ performance preferred).
- Demonstrated ability to play a dynamic range in organ and piano music required (classical to gospel)
- Demonstrated ability to accompany choirs and individual musicians required.
- Demonstrated experience and ability playing in a worship setting required.
- Understands how music contributes to the flow and meaning of worship.
- Exhibits a commitment to the Christian faith.
- Organizational skills, interpersonal relationships, and team player.
- Technical expertise with piano and organ accompaniment.
- Worship Center: ADC 4300DK, 2 manual Allen Organ (64 stops)
- Worship Center: Petrof Grand
- Worship Center: Electronic Keyboard
- Chapel: Nordiska Grand
- Pay Scale: $37.44 per hour
- Required Weekly Schedule: (7-8 hours weekly) 3 hours Sunday morning, 2-3 hours Tuesday, 2 hours personal practice time.
Posted April 16, 2021
Part-Time University Organist
Houston Baptist University
7502 Fondren Rd
Houston, Texas 77074
Contact David Kirkwood
Phone (281) 649-3204
- Maintain all university organs as follows:
- Serve as the liaison between the university and Létourneau Limitée
- Secure reputable technicians for maintaining all university organs.
- Function as the liaison between organ technician(s) and the university to ensure the university’s pipe organs and electronic organ are well-maintained.
- Advise University Administrators on the issues (other than tuning) that need attention and require funding.
- Provide organ accompaniment, as needed, for:
- Major university events such as Graduation, Opening Convocation, Founder’s Day, Award’s Day, and other university-wide events as requested by the Administration
- HBU Choir concerts for Major Works
- Hymn accompaniment for Student Music Forums
- Other performing requests as schedule allows and at organist’s discretion. The University Organist may establish & charge a fee for all non-university functions, to be paid by the organization or person(s) requesting the service.
- Manage the Organ Recital Series
- Secure guest artists for three recitals per semester
- Perform on Organ Recital Series once per year
- Promote the Organ Recital Series internally and externally
- Grow and sustain a larger regular attendance
- Teach secondary instrument applied organ lessons to piano majors at the current adjunct rate of pay.
The successful candidate must possess a minimum of Master’s Degree in Organ.
Please apply here.
Posted April 16, 2021
Holy Rosary Church
3617 Milam Street
Houston, Texas 77002
Contact Mary Henriquez
Number and Times of Services
11 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. Masses
No mid-week rehearsals
The organist should be able to comfortably accompany the cantor at both 11 a.m. High Mass and 12:30 p.m. Low Mass. The repertoire is primarily hymns and chants. The organist will at times be called upon to play weddings, funerals, and other special liturgies.
Experience playing organ in a Catholic Church preferable. At least 2 years’ experience playing in a church is required.
Candidates must be able to start no later than 5/9/2021.
Posted March 19, 2021
Part-time Director of Music/Pianist
John Knox Presbyterian
2525 Gessner Rd
Houston, Texas 77080
Contact Scott Kerns
Church Phone:(713) 462-5448
Number and Times of Services
Be available on Sunday mornings no later than 9:30 AM for the 10:30 AM worship service.
Play piano and direct choir during Sunday morning service.
Number and Times of Midweek Rehearsals
Wednesdays at a time to be determined, with the exception of one month in the summer, usually July.
This person answers directly to the Pastor and is responsible directly to him/her and the Worship Committee, which reports to the Session.
The Director of Music is responsible for the elements of music in a worship service. According to the Book of Order (W-2.0304-2.0305), Ministers of the Word and Sacrament are responsible for: the selection of Scriptures to be read, the preparation of the sermon, the prayers to be offered, the selection of music to be sung, printed worship aids or media presentations for a given service, and the use of drama, dance, and other art forms in a particular service of worship.
Where there is a music leader or choir director, the minister of the Word and Sacrament will confer with that person on anthems and other musical offerings; the session will see that these conferences take place appropriately and on a regular basis.
- Coordinate the music for worship.
- Attend regular staff meetings, usually monthly.
- Attend monthly worship committee meetings.
Higher education degree in music and prior work experience serving as a director and musician is required.
posted March 17, 2021